Thursday, May 14, 2009

Paladin


I was researching for one of my essays recently, which was on death & immortality. I came across the notion that "heroes" are very important in society. We need them as shining examples, and their brushes with death (war, protest etc) showcase the limits they are prepare to go to. This goes all the way back to the Epic of Gilgamesh. Moreover, the author stated that more than anything else, we all want to be heroes, because they are the highest of the high.

The Free Online Dictionary tells us that a hero is:
1. In mythology and legend, a man, often of divine ancestry, who is endowed with great courage and strength, celebrated for his bold exploits, and favored by the gods.
2. A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life

So beneath the HR managers, PR assistants and mortgage brokers, we all want to be Hercules (or Xena, Warrior Princess for the ladies). We all want to be admired and looked up to - for the right reasons - not for staying in a jungle with That Guy From Blue.

I don't know if "an inner hero" is an obvious concept, but for me it's true, and in my traditionally cheesey fashion, I think it's very nice. But what is stopping us from being the heroes we were all born to be - or at least, what's stopping us from being heroic? 

I have it in mind, at some point in my life to help/teach kids, and educate the masses about a few of the wrongs that exist in the world today through film. I'll have to think that one out a bit. But it's worth thinking about. Heroism. Corny, yes. Cliche, perhaps, but tell me one thing that's wrong with that?

I like this (click Paladin heading to see video if subscribing).




No comments: