Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Goodbye Old Friend, See You On The Internet

I said goodbye to a good friend of mine today who has just finished studying in Glasgow for the term. Jimmy was actually my American roommate from last year, so we were pretty close. I don't know when I'll see him next.

And while we had a big man-chat the night before, the final moment itself wasn't emotional. No tears, no big speeches....meh.

Backstory:

Last year in Santa Barbara, I said 'so long' to many people, and I wasn't sure when I would ever see them again. When I did that, it was very surreal. What do you say to someone who may never re-enter your life again? Sum up your time together in an amusing yet touching sentence or two? Wish them luck with all they do and blah blah?

Well, since then, I've seen alot of those friends. I went back to America briefly, and then I had to say goodbye all over again, and one of my Aussie mates even came here, which was fantastic.

During this current academic year, I got to know our American next door neighbour, Troy, who was a very friendly and warm person. He was in Birmingham for just one term, and for him, it was very sad and somewhat depressing to leave his new found friends. I empathised, and tried to give him parting words of wisdom and truth.

Over the past week or so, I have said a final farewell to both Troy and Jimmy, and I will do so again in about 10 days when Eric stops by on his way home to California. But quite frankly, it's not as much of a big deal anymore.

This mentality exists because:
a) There's a fairly good chance I'll move to California some day.
b) I talk to these guys all the time.

Facebook. Skype. Msn. Email. Whatever. These things keep me in virtually constant communication with...well, anyone. Cities and Towns and Countries are pretty much boundary-less (real word?). There are no walls. We can fly, cross the Channel at the drop of a hat, and read about other people's opinions from the comfort of our own homes. If I knew Kim Jong Il's Skype ID, I could be on the phone to him in no time.

Such an inter-connected world nullifies true "Auf Wiedersehens". It erradicates "distance" as we once knew it. And I have mixed feelings about this; the obvious positive is never losing touch with our fellow humans, but then these daprtures and break-ups become falsified. Granted, Facebook can never replace a good old fashioned bear-hug, but you can still laugh, giggle and cry with your friends online. Real life is losing its impact.


Goodbyes are always going to be weird. But how cool would it be if you were busy living in your own world, and your best friend from Korea, whom you haven't seen or talked to in years, turns up with his Stunna Shades on?

Did any of that make sense? Comments encouraged.

1 comment:

Owlicks Meowlix said...

Hi Sukhi, it's Alix; I'm following your blog now.

I don't know what I'd do without the internet; I'm generally 3000 and 5000 miles away from my best friends. I really liked this post; it was very thoughtful. You're a thoughtful boy. :)